Transcona Parks Update
Transcona Parks are vibrant and a critical component to building community. Parks offer a space for play, recreation, athletics, and social interaction, so it is important to keep Winnipeg`s parks functional and complimentary to growing communities. The City has been and has plans for updating and changing parks in Transcona and wishes to inform the public about these recent and planned changes.
- Related Links
Thank you to everyone who took time to visit our information session in the centre court of Kildonan Place Mall on December 2, 2017. Roughly 90 people stopped to view the concept drawings and discuss the updates with city staff.
Thank you to all who attended the Transcona Parks Update open house on Wednesday, December 7, 2016 and submitted a survey online or in-person. On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 we held a second open house event. In total we collected over twenty surveys. We are currently processing the feedback we received.
If you would like to stay updated on City of Winnipeg public engagement events, sign up for our newsletter.
Dedicated in 1972, Transcona Stadium is receiving a major overhaul. City staff have worked with users of the Red River Valley Sports League on determining the best route to rehabilitating the site.
- The original bleachers were no longer safe and have been replaced with a modern, 10-row, aluminum bleacher unit - $16,000.00
- The new bleachers are built on a gravel pad that can also accommodate wheelchairs and strollers - $7,000.00
- The scoreboard building will be painted and renewed - $46,618.16 (completion date spring 2018)
- Electrical upgrades - $4,000 (completion date February 2018)
- The backstop will be replaced and sodded, along with the mesh foul ball nets and players boxes - $110,989.00 (estimated completion mid-December 2017)
- Flooding of the field after heavy rain events will be decreased through additional infield mix - $18,000.00 (work likely to begin in mid-May 2018)
- Storage garage upgrades - $35,000 (completion date February 2018)
The value of the bleacher and backstop replacement with infield improvements is $152,000.00, funded by $43,000.00 parks capital and $109,000.00 of Land dedication Reserve.
Complete: Mural, bleachers and some infield rehabilitation.
Currently being installed: New backstop with foul ball mesh nets, players boxes and outfield fence.
To come in 2018: Building painting and storage garage, and addition of infield mix
|Open House Invitation||2016-11-23||Invitation|
|Open House News Release||2016-11-23||News Release|
|Transcona Park Open House Boards||2017-05-03||Open House Boards|
|Open House News Release 2||2017-04-21||News Release|
|Open House Invitation 2||2017-04-20||Invitation|