A Neighbourhood Dog Park in Downtown Winnipeg
The Downtown off-leash dog park is open!
The fully-fenced, 0.12 hectare off-leash area located within Bonnycastle Park on Assiniboine Avenue features artificial turf designed specifically for dog parks, lights, signage, park furniture for people, and waste receptacles as well as a bottle-refill fountain operational in the summer months. Existing trees and park elements were incorporated into the design, and additional trees and shrub planting were added around the edge of the new off-leash enclosure to complete the park.
The park is open seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
An open house was held on Wednesday, February 24, 2016.
A dog park in the downtown area is important to:
- Build strong community ties by fostering social opportunities for dogs & people.
- Encourage downtown living.
- Help make dog ownership in the downtown more accessible.
- Create a designated space for dogs to safely exercise and play with other dogs.
- Provide an amenity to attract people to the city's core.