House Additions and
Advice and permit information for house additions, attached garages and car ports
To apply for your permit please visit the Zoning and Permits Office at Unit 31 – 30 Fort Street.
Here is a list of brochures to guide you with your house addition / attached garage building project:
A 20-page guide to the plans required when applying for a building permit for a house addition.
A 32-page homeowners’ guide for electrical installations in single-family dwellings, detached garages and sheds.
An 18-page homeowner’s guide of plumbing requirements for single-family dwellings.
- Two sets of full construction plans, showing foundation details, architectural details and including site plan showing the location of existing structures on the site.
- Copy of a Surveyor’s Building Location Certificate – may be waived if sufficient detail on site plan
- Two copies of site plan
- Completed Application Form
- Completed Owner Statement
- A completed Professional Designer's Certificate for Housing where structural components are required to be under seal of an engineer
Separate permits are required for electrical and plumbing
Each permit application requires all of the information shown on the application form and the application must be submitted to the Zoning and Permits office. Your application visit will take less time if you complete the application form in advance.