Detached Garages and Accessory Structures
The Zoning & Permits Branch is not accepting walk-in customers and permit applications must be submitted digitally. If you have any questions, call Permits Direct Line at 204-986-5140.
La Direction du zonage et des permis ne prend pas les clients sans rendez-vous, et les demandes de permis doivent être soumises en format numérique. Pour toute question, appelez la ligne directe des permis au 204-986-5140.
When is a Permit Required?
A detached garage or other detached accessory structure requires a Building Permit if it is more than 10 m2 (108 sq. ft.).
A detached accessory structure is one that supports the use of a single family or two family dwelling on the same property. Other examples include:
- Storage Sheds
- Workshops, etc.
Note: If you are considering a secondary suite on your detached accessory structure, please call Permits Direct Line at 204-986-5140 to speak with a Zoning Development Officer.
Zoning and Construction Requirements
- Refer to the Detached Garages & Accessory Structures brochure to learn more about construction, zoning and electrical requirements for detached accessory structures.
- Refer to the Electrical Installations homeowner guide for more information about the construction, alteration, repair or extension of any electrical installation that may be required.
Note: A separate Electrical Permit is required for all detached garage and carport construction projects.
- Refer to the Plumbing Installations homeowner guide for more information about the construction, alteration, repair, extension or renewal of a plumbing system, or replacement of water supply lines.
- 1 copy of a detailed site plan showing all property dimensions, location of all buildings, and the location and size of the proposed structure.
Note:The City has the authority to request a current Building Location Certificate (BLC) sealed by a registered land surveyor
- 1 copy of a construction plan and elevation drawings as outlined in the
Detached Garages & Accessory Structures brochure.
Note: This is not required for retail lumber store Standard Garage Packages.
- 1 completed Professional Designer's Certificate for Housing if plans are sealed by an Architect or Engineer.
- 1 completed Detached Garages & Accessory Structures Permit Application Form
- 1 completed Owner Statement (not required if owner is the applicant)
Separate permits are required for electrical and plumbing
How to apply
Please ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying.
Click before you dig
If your foundation is going to require digging below grade, visit clickbeforeyoudigmb.com or call 1‑800‑940‑3447.