Advice and permit information for the construction of open decks
To apply for your permit please visit the Zoning and Permits Office at Unit 31 – 30 Fort Street.
A 24-page booklet outlining the zoning and construction requirements for construction of open, uncovered decks on residential buildings, including FAQ's, documents required, zoning, structural specifications and the location and hours of the Permits Office.
- Copy of a Surveyor’s Building Location Certificate – may be waived if sufficient detail on site plan
- Two copies of site plan showing all property dimensions, location of all buildings, and the location and size of the proposed deck
- 2 copies of construction and elevation drawings are
- Decks exceeding 600 mm (24") in height above finished ground level; or
- Decks that will eventually support an enclosed structure with a roof such as a sunroom, family room, etc.
- Completed Application Form and Wood Deck Checklist
- Completed Owner Statement
Each permit application requires all of the information shown on the Application Form and must be submitted in-person to the Zoning and Permits Office. Your application visit will take less time if you complete the Application Form in advance.
Note: Decks that are entirely under 600 mm (24") above the surrounding grade do not require a permit but they do need to be code compliant.