Advice and permit information for the construction of open decks
To apply for your permit please visit the Zoning and Permits Office at Unit 31 – 30 Fort Street.
A 24-page booklet outlining the zoning and construction requirements for construction of open, uncovered decks on residential buildings, including FAQ's, documents required, zoning, and structural specifications.
- Copy of a Surveyor’s Building Location Certificate – may be waived if sufficient detail on site plan
- Two copies of site plan showing all property dimensions, location of all buildings, and the location and size of the proposed deck
- 2 copies of construction and elevation drawings are
- Decks exceeding 600 mm (24") in height above finished ground level; or
- Decks that will eventually support an enclosed structure with a roof such as a sunroom, family room, etc.
- Completed Application Form and Wood Deck Checklist
- Completed Owner Statement
Each permit application requires all of the information shown on the Application Form and must be submitted in-person to the Zoning and Permits Office. Your application visit will take less time if you complete the Application Form in advance.
Note: Decks that are entirely under 600 mm (24") above the surrounding grade do not require a permit but they do need to be code compliant.