Toilet replacement credit program - residential
This program is designed to conserve water and save you money on your utility bill.
The 2017 program funding has been approved, we are now processing applications in the order in which they were received.
To be eligible for the credit you must:
- Live in a residential unit with the City utility account in your name for that residential unit you own or rent. An individual City water meter must be in place to measure the amount of water used for that residential unit.
- Be up-to-date with your utility bill payments.
- Purchase a WaterSense labelled toilet to replace an old toilet (i.e., with a flush volume of 13 litres or more). Note: Single-flush 6 litre toilets are not eligible.
- Recycle your old toilet at an approved toilet recycling depot. You must:
- remove the plastic seat and all metal parts prior to recycling
- get a receipt clearly marked with "toilet" from the depot
- Provide a water meter reading on your application when the new toilet was installed and water meter readings every quarter. We require this information to calculate the actual savings for this program.
Applying for the credit
- Download and complete the application form or request one by contacting 311.
- Mail or drop off the completed application form with sales and recycling receipts to:
Water Conservation - Toilet Replacement Credit Program
City of Winnipeg, Water and Waste Department
110 - 1199 Pacific Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3S8
Monday to Friday (except holidays) from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Keep a copy of your application form and receipts as we will not return the originals.
- Ensure the sales receipt clearly indicates:
- name of retailer,
- date of purchase,
- if available, the make, model name and model number or the item number of each toilet
- the number of qualifying toilets purchased.
- Applications must be submitted by December 31 of any year in which Council has provided funding for the program.
Receiving the credit
If you are eligible, we will send you a letter advising you that we have approved your application and a credit of $60 per toilet will appear on your utility bill 6 - 8 weeks from the date of our letter. You may apply for two credits ($120) per utility account per year.
If you are not eligible, we will send you a letter advising you why you were not approved and your completed application package.
For more information:
- see our frequently asked questions,
- see the Residential Toilet Replacement Credit Program By-law,
- read the 2015 program summary report (pdf - 16kb)
- email us. Include your contact information (e.g., telephone number, address) in the body of your message. You can expect a reply from us within two business days.
- contact 311