Toilet replacement credit program - residential
This program is designed to conserve water and save you money on your utility bill.
This program is continuing for 2013.
2487 credits have been approved as of December 1, 2013
To be eligible for the credit you must:
- Own or rent a single-family home, and:
- you must live in the home, and
- the City of Winnipeg water account for that home must be in your name. Please see Residential Toilet Replacement Credit Program By-law 4(a).
- Be up-to-date with your water bill payments (e.g., no outstanding balance).
- Replace an old inefficient toilet (i.e., with a flush volume of 13 litres or more). The volume markings are usually on the toilet bowl behind the seat or inside the toilet tank.
- Purchase a WaterSense labelled toilet on our approved toilet list after January 1, 2011.
Note: Only WaterSense Labelled toilets would be eligible for a credit. Single flush 6 litre toilets are not WaterSense labelled toilets.
- Install your new WaterSense labelled toilet. You do not need a plumbing permit to replace a toilet.
- Recycle your old toilet at an approved toilet recycling depot. You must:
- remove the plastic seat and all metal parts prior to recycling
- get a receipt clearly marked with "toilet" from the depot
- Provide actual meter readings on a quarterly basis for 12 months after installing the new toilet.
Applying for the credit
- Download the application form (pdf - 578kb) or request one by contacting 311.
- Mail or drop off the completed application form with original sales and recycling receipts to:
Water Conservation - Toilet Replacement Credit Program
City of Winnipeg, Water and Waste Department
110 - 1199 Pacific Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3S8
Monday to Friday (except holidays) from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Photocopies are not accepted.
- Keep a copy of your application form and receipts. We will not return the originals.
- Ensure the original sales receipt clearly indicates:
- name of retailer,
- date of purchase,
- the make, model name and model number of each toilet, and
- the number of qualifying toilets purchased.
Receiving the credit
If you are eligible, we will send you a letter advising you that we have approved your application and a credit of $60 per toilet will appear on your utility bill 6 - 8 weeks from the date of our letter. You may apply for a credit for up to two toilets per water account per year.
For more information:
- see our frequently asked questions,
- see the Residential Toilet Replacement Credit Program By-law,
- read the 2012 program summary report (pdf - 16kb)
- email us. Include your contact information (e.g., telephone number, address) in the body of your message. You can expect a reply from us within two business days.
- contact 311
Last updated: December 6, 2013