Garbage and recycling collection service for registered charities and places of worship with less than 600 litres of garbage per week
Do you provide garbage and recycling collection service for charities and places of worship?
Yes. If you are a charity or place of worship and put out less than 600 litres of garbage per week, you can sign up for our collection service, which includes:
- recycling and garbage collection service once every week of the year, including those weeks with statutory holidays, and
- yard waste collection once every two weeks from April to November each year.
Do you provide the garbage and recycling containers?
Yes. We will provide you with:
- one 240-litre garbage cart (holds about three standard-size garbage bags)
- one 240-litre recycling cart (holds about four standard-size blue boxes)
Is there a charge for these collection services?
We don't charge for these basic services at this time.
Additional collection services for a fee
Do you provide other collection services?
Yes. You can request curbside collection for any of the following, by contacting 311:
- extra garbage that doesn’t fit in your garbage cart – $5.00 for a pickup of up to three standard-size garbage bags,
- large items (e.g., furniture) – $5.00 per item, and we will collect up to 10 items per pickup,
- items with ozone-depleting substances (e.g., fridges, freezers) – $20.00 per item.
Signing up for service
How do I sign up for your service?
You can sign up any time. Fill out the application form (pdf - 30kb) and return it to our office by mail or fax. You don’t need to sign up for yard waste collection.
If I move my church or charitable institution, can I transfer your garbage and recycling collection service to my new location?
Yes. Please fill out an application form (pdf - 30kb) to discontinue service at your current location and fill out another copy to begin service at your new location. Return both application forms to our office by fax or mail. We require at least two weeks’ notice.
Can I cancel my service at any time?
Yes. Fill out the application form (pdf - 30kb) and return it to our office by fax or mail. We require at least two weeks’ notice.
Upgrading your garbage collection service
Can I upgrade my garbage collection service?
Yes. You can choose to upgrade your garbage collection service for an annual fee. Only one change to your garbage service is allowed per year. There is a delivery fee for the carts unless you pick them up.
|Size of Garbage Cart||Annual Upgrade Fee|
|Switch the 240-litre with a 360-litre cart||$33.00 per year|
|One additional 240-litre cart||$93.00 per year|
|One additional 360-litre cart||$116.00 per year|
What if I put out more than 600 litres of garbage per week?
If you put out between 600 litres and 3.0 cubic metres of garbage per week:
- We would continue to provide garbage collection service at no charge, but you must obtain a front-load garbage bin. You can rent or buy them from most private garbage collection companies or container manufacturers.
- If you want recycling collection, you would have to sign up for our business collection service and then you would receive both garbage and recycling collection service. There is a fee.
If you put out more than 3.0 cubic metres of garbage per week:
- You would need to hire a private company to collect your garbage. There are businesses listed under “Garbage” in your MTS Yellow Pages Phone Book that may provide garbage collection service for a fee.
Upgrading your recycling service
Can I upgrade my recycling collection service?
Yes. You can upgrade your recycling collection service for a one-time cart rental fee. We don’t charge an additional fee to empty the carts. There is a delivery fee for the carts unless you pick them up.
|Recycling Carts||One Time Rental Fee|
|Switch the 240-litre with a 360-litre cart||$15.00|
|One additional 240-litre cart||$60.00|
|One additional 360-litre cart||$75.00|
Is there a maximum number of recycling carts I can rent?
We will accommodate requests for additional recycling cart rentals. Depending on the number of carts requested:
- our staff may need to conduct a site assessment,
- you may be required to switch to a front-load recycling bin.
Using your carts
Who is responsible for maintaining the carts?
You must keep the carts clean and secure. If they are damaged or vandalized, you will have to pay to replace them.
What happens if my carts are damaged, lost or stolen?
You have to replace or repair lost or damaged carts unless the contractor damages them during collection. Phone 311 to buy replacement parts (e.g., wheels, lids). To reduce the chance of your carts getting damaged or going missing, move them back onto your property as soon as possible after they are emptied.
What is the schedule for emptying my carts?
- We will empty your carts once a week on a set day (e.g., every Monday). Your collection day may shift on weeks with holidays. We will provide your collection day after we process your application.
- Put out your carts by 7:00 a.m., but no sooner than the night before.
- Return the carts to your property as soon as possible after collection.
How will I identify my carts?
- Write your address on the carts with a permanent marker in the space provided. We recommend that you do this as soon as we deliver the carts.
- Record the serial number of each cart. The number is stamped on the side of each cart. This will help identify your carts if there is a problem.
Where should I store my carts between collection days?
Store your carts in a safe place on your property. Do not leave them at the back lane or front street.
Can I secure my garbage or recycling carts?
You can chain your carts to a secure object (e.g., a fence), but you must unlock and move them to your collection point before 7:00 a.m. on collection day.
Yard waste collection program
Am I eligible for the curbside yard waste collection program?
Yes. We will collect yard waste every two weeks from April to November each year, weather permitting. We will tell you your start date.
For more information on how and where to place the carts, read our automated cart collection web page.
For more information on what you can recycle, read our recycling web page.
For more information on how we collect yard waste, read our yard waste web page.
Last updated: December 18, 2012