Spring Weight Restrictions
To protect streets from excessive damage during spring thaw conditions, spring weight restrictions are imposed each year during the period of mid-March to the end of May, unless the Director of Public Works declares otherwise. This page is updated to advise the public when restrictions are in effect.
For detailed current information regarding spring weight restrictions, including weight limits, please refer to the Manitoba Spring Road Restrictions (SRR) Program website.
Spring weight restrictions are imposed on all affected streets in the City of Winnipeg as follows:
ANY PERSON OPERATING A VEHICLE IN CONTRAVENTION OF THESE RESTRICTIONS SHALL
BE LIABLE TO A FINE.
To report a noncompliant vehicle or for more information regarding allowable weights, contact the Winnipeg Police Service Vehicle Inspection Unit at 204-986-5355 or 204-794-4711, Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Certain exceptions for essential commodities apply during the spring weight restriction period. Essential commodities that do not require a permit include:
- Drinking water
- Domestic sewage
- Municipal refuse
- Groceries and pharmaceuticals
- Fertilizer / seed
- Livestock feed
- Equipment and material for emergencies including floods, spills and derailments
Note: For commodities not listed above, permits are issued to prevent undue hardships or for economic necessity.
Commodities that require a permit include:
- Irreducible loads of machinery/equipment
- Grain to satisfy quotas
- Other requests are considered at the discretion of the Public Works Department (call 204-986-6006).
- Any exemption for relief from Level 1 (90%) road restrictions requires a permit.
Despite the imposition of Level 2 (65% of normal axle loads) road restrictions:
- Level 1 (90% of normal axle loads) applies to Transit buses, school buses and Public Works maintenance vehicles.
- A vehicle may transport essential commodities at Level 1 (90%) road restriction weights using the most direct route.