Accessibility Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |  Current weather in the City of Winnipeg Accessibility   |   
Three one one Online Services

Register for a Buffer Zone

*As of 2011* Proof of occupancy required (click here to see acceptable documentation.)

What is a Buffer Zone?

Residents can register with the City of Winnipeg Insect Control Branch in order to exempt their property during a Residential Adult Nuisance Mosquito Fogging Program and/or Cankerworm Control Program. By registering a Buffer Zone citizens will have their property, and a predetermined distance from their property boundary, excluded from our control programs. Residents are reminded that they must re-new their Buffer Zone registration at the beginning of every season.

Residential Adult Nuisance Mosquito Fogging Program – provides residents with a 90 m buffer zone adjacent to their property. Adjacent is defined as property abutting or having a common border.

Cankerworm Control Programprovides residents with a 30 m buffer zone adjacent to their property.

Register for a Buffer Zone Around Your property

A 72 hour turnaround time is recommended for processing, so residents are encouraged to begin registering for the 2015 season.

How to Register

Citizens may register for a buffer zone by contacting the Insect Control Branch:

In person:

1539 Waverley Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

By email:

In writing:

3 Grey Street
Winnipeg Manitoba
R2L 1V2

Or by fax:


Please provide the following information:

  • Name
  • Date
  • Address of their principal residence
  • Telephone number
  • Specific insect control program(s)
  • *As of 2011* Proof of occupancy required (click here to see acceptable documentation for address verification)

Citizens must specify for which Insect Control Program they are registering a buffer (ie. Residential Adult Nuisance Mosquito Fogging Program, Cankerworm Control Program). The Insect Control Branch will forward a letter confirming your registration as a buffer zone registrant.

Notification Statement: The collection of personal information is done in confidence for the purpose of administering buffer zone applications and is authorized by clause 36(1)(b) of The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). The collection, use and disclosure of this information is protected by FIPPA and will not be used for any other purpose. If you have any questions about the collection, use or disclosure of this information, contact 311 or call toll free 1-877-311-4974 (4WPG).

Last update: January 8, 2015