Project update- October 29, 2015
Two lanes of the new Plessis Underpass on Plessis Road between Dugald Road and Kernaghan Avenue opened to traffic Saturday, October 31, 2015.
In 2012, federal, provincial and municipal officials announced that the Plessis Road Underpass was approved for joint funding by the three levels of government, with a budget of $77 million.
Traffic is regularly restricted by passing trains causing congestion. The development of the Plessis Underpass will separate trains from motor vehicles, bicycles and pedestrians, making the area safer and more efficient for all modes of transportation.
The Project will include an underpass of the CN Rail line. The underpass is to be located north of the Plessis Road and Dugald Road intersection.
Other components of the project will include:
- Land drainage system improvements.
- Active Transportation facilities.
- Roadway improvements on Plessis Road, upgrading from two lanes to four lanes divided, between Dugald Road and Pandora Avenue.
- Relocation of utilities, including watermains, sewers, fibre optic cables, gas mains, distribution poles, street lights and electrical lines.
- Relocation of oil pipelines.
The City, along with our engineering service providers and contractors have made every effort to identify and implement efficiencies to complete the Plessis Underpass Project as soon as possible. While we continue to look for efficiencies, due to unexpected delays in constructing a rail detour (shoofly) and relocating oil pipelines, the project is behind schedule. Our project funding partners have granted the following extensions:
- Two lanes of the Project on Plessis Road between Dugald Road and Kernaghan Avenue will be open to traffic by October 31, 2015, as opposed to July 31, 2015;
- Four lanes of the Project on Plessis Road between Dugald Road and Kernaghan Avenue will be open to traffic by September 30, 2016, as opposed to September 30, 2015; and
- The Project completion date will be no later than March 31, 2017, as opposed to March 31, 2016.
We wish to thank you for your continued patience with this major construction project.
Public Open House
The City of Winnipeg held an Open House February 28, 2013 to review the preliminary design of the underpass and to answer questions about the project. These were the visual displays presented:
Public Open House No. 2
The second Plessis Road Underpass Open House was held on June 19, 2013 and provided the latest construction information and updated design information, and summarized some comments heard from the first Open House.
Frequently Asked Questions
Read project FAQs.
For inquiries, please contact
Phone, email, fax: 311
Detailed project information and project updates will be available on this website.