Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |

Planning, Property & Development

Subdivisions, Rezonings, and Development Applications

Rezoning Applications (DAZ)

Use the rezoning application procedure when rezoning property without creating new lots or modifying existing lots.rezoning graphic

An application for rezoning can be made by the owner of a parcel of land, by a person authorized (in writing by the owner) to make the application, or by the CAO of the City of Winnipeg. To make a rezoning application, you must:

Description of Zoning By-Law

  • Divides each part of the City into zoning districts: R1 Single-Family District, C1 Commercial District or M1 Light Industrial District
  • Separates residential, commercial and industrial land development and regulates specific land uses and buildings
  • Made up of text and maps
  • Zoning districts have certain land uses that are:
    • Permitted outright
    • Conditional upon approval
    • Prohibited
  • Each zoning district has rules for the location and size of buildings.
  • Regulations are listed in detail, such as setbacks (yards), height limits, or other specific requirements.

Description of Rezoning

  • Changes zoning designation and regulations on a parcel of land
  • Deals with a specific parcel or parcels of land
  • States the zoning district(s) that now apply to the land as well as the zoning district(s) that are proposed to apply to the land
  • Changes the rules of development in order to allow a land use that cannot be established under existing zoning regulations
  • Takes effect when City Council passes a rezoning by-law to amend the existing zoning by-law and any relevant caveats are registered

Additional Information

Time Frame
A rezoning without agreements may be completed in about six months, but a rezoning with agreements may take as long as 18 months before Council passes the necessary by-law. The time required to complete a rezoning varies because:
  • Some applications are more complex than others
  • Due to the different types of agreement

Rezoning Application Procedure

  • An application is made through the Zoning and Permits Branch by submitting all of the required documents and payment of fees.
  • The application is reviewed in terms of City of Winnipeg planning policy. If the application conforms with the City’s planning policy, it is referred for consideration at a public meeting.
  • The application is also reviewed in terms of available services (such as sewer, water and streets) to determine whether the applicant must pay to improve services if the rezoning application is approved.
  • The relevant Community Committee conducts the public meeting to consider the application.
  • The public meeting is advertised in the newspapers 14 days prior to the meeting and by posters on the parcel of land.
  • The applicant or his designate must appear at the public meeting in order to represent himself or herself on the rezoning application. Any person who wishes to either support or oppose the rezoning application may also appear. The Community Committee considers letters in support or opposition from persons who cannot attend the public meeting.
  • At the conclusion of the public meeting, the Community Committee recommends approval or rejection of the rezoning application. The approval may be only for part of the proposal or may be subject to conditions.

Public Meeting

  • The applicant and any other persons in support of the rezoning application should be prepared to speak in favour of the proposal and to answer any questions.
  • It is useful to present drawings of the proposed development and to explain the effect on adjacent property.
  • Be prepared to address specific complaints from persons in opposition and to make changes in the proposed development to satisfy those in opposition.
  • Those in opposition to the proposed zoning change should:
    • Speak about their reasons
    • Select a limited number of spokespersons for large groups
    • Refrain from repeating the same arguments
    • Attend the public meeting
    • Try to understand the details of the proposed zoning change
    • Focus on the actual issues considered by the Community Committee
  • Advertisements for public meetings (in newspapers and on posters) include the telephone number of the planner. The planner can help you understand the rezoning application.
  • There are no public representations after the public meeting.
  • If you have written to the Community Committee or registered your attendance at the public meeting, you will be advised of each step in the process by mail.
City Council Makes the Final Decision
The Community Committee concludes the public meeting with a recommendation to the Standing Policy Committee on Property and Development, which in turn considers the rezoning application and makes a recommendation to the Executive Policy Committee. The Executive Policy Committee considers all previous recommendations and makes a recommendation to the City Council. City Council receives the recommendation of the Executive Policy Committee and makes the final decision.
  • City Council decides if the rezoning application should be rejected, approved or approved subject to special conditions being met. Special conditions vary with each application and range from a traffic study or geotechnical report to removal of a fence.
  • Prior to enactment of the zoning by-law, the applicant may have to comply with conditions, such as:
    • Enter into a zoning agreement
    • Make a 10% dedication by payment of a sum of money in lieu of the requirement for park land dedication
    • Enter into a servicing agreement (controls installation of any pavement, sidewalks or underground utilities
    • Other agreements depending on the zoning change
  • Upon compliance with Council’s adopted report, Council may enact the zoning by-law

Contact Information

For assistance from Planning, Property and Development Department staff concerning rezonings please call 204-986-5140.


This information is available in a brochure format
381 KB  | Download

Last update: November 10, 2017