Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |

Planning, Property & Development

Subdivisions, Rezonings, and Development Applications

Long-Form Subdivision Applications (DASZ, DAS)

Follow the Development Application Subdivision and Rezoning (DASZ) process if your proposed Plan of Subdivision:subdivision graphic


  • Creates new lots and requires a zoning change but does not create any new streets or lanes
  • Requires a zoning classification change or rezoning and creates new public streets and/or lanes


Follow the Development Application Subdivision (DAS) process if your proposal includes a subdivision and the creation of new streets without a zoning change

  • A long-form subdivision application is a longer process than the short-form process due to the requirement for Council approval.

If you are not proposing to create any new public rights-of-way and your proposed Plan of Subdivision complies with the existing zoning classification, use the short-form subdivision application (DASSF) procedure.

Long-Form Subdivision Application Overview

Before you subdivide land into lots in order to sell one or more of them, you must receive approval from the City of Winnipeg. Follow these steps:

  • Make an application with the Zoning and Permits Branch at Unit 31 - 30 Fort Street. Learn about application requirements and fees.  Note: subdivision mylars are expensive and not necessary when submitting an application.
  • Obtain approval from the City of Winnipeg. Do not begin work on the mylars until your application has received approval.
  • Fulfill all conditions required by the Council in order to obtain final approval and plan registration
  • Enter into a zoning agreement with the City, as appropriate and required
  • Register a Plan of Subdivision in the Winnipeg Land Titles Office

Description of Plan of Subdivision

  • A legal document prepared by a Manitoba land surveyor and registered in the Winnipeg Land Titles Office
  • Often referred to as mylars
  • Includes:
    • The precise boundaries and dimensions of a lot or lots
    • The location and names of any new public streets and/or lanes and existing boundary streets
    • The basic configuration of existing lots within the immediate surrounding area
  • Does not identify the location of existing buildings

Additional Information

Time Frame
The time required to obtain final approval of your application may vary considerably, depending on the scope of your proposal and the number and type of conditions. Your application can take six to twelve months to complete. Therefore, you should be cautious in scheduling any planned development on the land, as well as determining realistic possession dates in respect to the sale of your lot(s).

Application Review

Applications are reviewed for conformity to adopted plans and zoning by-laws.

  • If your application does not conform to an adopted plan, you would be advised that an amendment to that plan is required before your subdivision could be referred for approval.
  • A zoning officer determines if your proposal conforms to relevant zoning regulations.
  • If a variance of the zoning regulations is required, it would have to be approved at some point before your subdivision could be finalized.
  • The planner provides advice on the application, including changes that might be recommended as desirable or necessary to gain approval.

Your application is next circulated to concerned agencies, such as public utilities and other civic departments, for review and comment as to what conditions may be necessary for approval of your subdivision. Required conditions may include:

  • To allow development to take place on your proposed lots, the public street or lane bordering your property may require upgrading or underground services may need to be extended.
  • New public streets and/or lanes within your proposed Plan of Subdivision must be constructed to current City standards
  • You may be responsible for all or part of those costs.

Your application may be reviewed by a committee of City officials, known as the Administrative Coordinating Group (ACG). ACG can recommend amendments to your plan, conditions to be set on the approval, or your proposal be denied.

  • You can discuss ACG recommendations with the appropriate City staff members. After considering the position of the ACG and/or planner, you have the opportunity to request that you application be withdrawn or be further processed.
  • If you wish to proceed with your application, your proposed Plan of Subdivision would be advertised for a public hearing before the applicable Community Committee. The application must be advertised by publishing the proposal once in two daily newspapers with a general circulation in the City, 14 days clear of the day of the public hearing. You are responsible for the full costs of newspaper advertising.
  • The chairperson of the ACG and the planner each prepare a report with recommendations, which are submitted to the applicable Community Committee for its consideration, at which time you or your representative may wish to appear to speak on behalf of your proposal and answer any related questions. It is important to note that there are no further public representations after the public hearing.
  • The Community Committee forwards its recommendations to the Standing Policy Committee on Property and Development, which in turn forwards its recommendation on to the Executive Policy Committee (EPC). EPC then forwards it to Council, which is the final approval authority.
Once Your Application has Been Adopted by Council
You will be advised of the conditions to be fulfilled in order to obtain final approval and plan registration. These conditions may include any or all of the following:
  • Construction of municipal services, such as roads or water mains
  • Dedication of land for public open space or cash in lieu
  • Construction of special land drainage facilities
  • Provision of easements in favor of the City

Where there is a zoning change associated with your proposed Plan of Subdivision, you may also be required to enter into a zoning agreement with the City. A zoning agreement may make provision that all building plans must be approved at Community Committee prior to issuance of a building permit. It may also establish special height and/or density limitations and prohibit certain land uses.

Once an application has been adopted by Council, the applicant can proceed to satisfy all conditions required in that approval.

Building permits for individual lots are not issued until the Plan of Subdivision has been registered in the Winnipeg Land Titles Office.

Time Limits
Council approval may include time restrictions for completion (usually two years to have a by-law prepared).
  • If an extension of time is requested, your application would be reviewed to determine if circumstances affecting the application have changed.
  • Payment of an extension of time application fee is required.

Receiving Final Approval for a Plan of Subdivision.
Not until a sworn-to plan prepared by a registered Manitoba land surveyor is submitted and the subdivision/rezoning by-law is prepared. Concurrently, any related zoning, servicing and development agreements are prepared and the necessary signatures are secured.

Registering your Plan of Subdivision.
After Council adopts the by-law, all necessary agreements have been executed and all monies have been paid, the mylars are released for registration.

Following the posting of securities required under the development agreement to guarantee maintenance warranty and builders’ liens, you can proceed with the installation of the physical improvements in your subdivision and go ahead with finalizing the sale of your lots.

Contact Information
For assistance from Planning, Property and Development Department staff at 204-986-5140:
  • Contact the Zoning and Permits Branch for assistance with minimum lot width and area requirements and zoning. They can advise you whether the proposal complies with zoning regulations and relevant City by-laws.
  • Contact the Development Management Branch for advice on planning details and on the subdivision as it relates to orderly development.
  • Contact the Land Development Branch for an explanation of the overall approval process, municipal details and subdivision standards by-law. They can direct you to other agencies that you should consult.


This information is available in a brochure format
740 KB  | Download

Last update: November 10, 2017