Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |

Planning, Property & Development

Subdivisions, Rezonings, and Development Applications

Short-Form Subdivision Applications (DASSF)

Use the short-form subdivision application procedure when subdividing property where no new public street or lane is being created and a zoning change is not required.

Short Form Subdivision

Consider this:

  • A short-form subdivision application does not require a public hearing for approval.
  • In the absence of any conditions, your application may be approved in eight weeks.

If you are proposing to subdivide land and open new streets and/or lanes at the same time or if your proposal requires a zoning classification change, use the long-form subdivision application process.

Short-Form Subdivision Application Overview

Before dividing a parcel of land into two or more lots, realigning existing property lines or consolidating a number of properties into one lot, you must:

  • Make an application with the Zoning and Permits Branch at Unit 31 - 30 Fort Street. Learn about application requirements and fees.  Note: subdivision mylars are expensive and not necessary when submitting an application.
  • Obtain approval from the City of Winnipeg. You will receive a letter from the City approving your application. Do not begin work on the mylars until you have received an approval letter.
  • Register a Plan of Subdivision in the Winnipeg Land Titles Office.

Description of Plan of Subdivision

  • A legal document prepared by a Manitoba land surveyor and registered in the Winnipeg Land Titles Office
  • Often referred to as mylars
  • Includes:
    • The precise boundaries and dimensions of a lot or lots
    • The location and names of any new public streets and/or lanes and existing boundary streets
    • The basic configuration of existing lots within the immediate surrounding area
  • Does not identify the location of existing buildings

A Plan of Subdivision processed under the short-form process establishes new lots by Certificate of Title, each of which can be sold or leased for purposes of development and/or use in conformity with City by-laws. A Plan of Subdivision must be:

  • Prepared by a Manitoba land surveyor
  • Registered in the Winnipeg Land Titles Office
  • Ratified by the Standing Committee on Property and Development after Administrative approval

Additional Information

Time frame
Your application may be processed in eight weeks, however if approval of your Plan of Subdivision requires agreements or amendments to existing policy, it may take four to six months before your Plan of Subdivision can be registered in the Winnipeg Land Titles Office.

Application review

Applications are reviewed for conformity to adopted plans and zoning by-laws.

  • If your application does not conform to an adopted plan, you would be advised that an amendment to that plan is required before your subdivision could be referred for approval.
  • A zoning officer determines if your proposal conforms to relevant zoning regulations.
  • If a variance of the zoning regulations is required, it would have to be approved at some point before your subdivision could be finalized.
  • The planner provides advice on the application, including changes that might be recommended as desirable or necessary to gain approval.

Your application is next circulated to concerned agencies, such as public utilities and other civic departments, for review and comment.

  • For example, to allow development to take place on your proposed lots, the public street or lane bordering your property may require upgrading or underground services may need to be extended. Note: You may be responsible for all or part of those costs.

Your application may be reviewed by a committee of City officials, known as the Administrative Coordinating Group (ACG). ACG can recommend amendments to your plan, conditions to be set on the approval, or your proposal be denied.

  • You can discuss ACG recommendations with the appropriate City staff members.
  • The chairperson of the ACG may be required to prepare a report with recommendations, which is submitted to the applicable Community Committee for its consideration, at which time you may wish to appear and make a presentation. The Community Committee in turn makes its recommendations to the Standing Policy Committee on Property and Development, which renders the final decision in this matter.
  • Where no conditions are necessary other than a street or lane widening and/or ten percent cash dedication, the Planning, Property and Development department may approve your application without referring it to the Community Committee and the Standing Policy Committee on Property and Development.
  • The Standing Policy Committee on Property and Development has the authority to approve or deny any application that requires a subdivision, servicing or development agreement.
  • Valuations for the 10% cash dedication are calculated by Planning, Property and Development department staff. The dedication applies to each additional lot created.

Mylar Preparation

When you receive a letter from the City approving your application, you may proceed to have a surveyor prepare the mylars for your Plan of Subdivision, if you are prepared to meet all of the conditions of approval. Considerations of approval could include:
  • A street widening payment of 10% dedication in lieu of land
  • Dedication of a portion of land in lieu of cash
  • Requirement to sign a subdivision agreement or servicing agreement with the City to ensure improvements, such as sidewalks and road upgrading, are provided after the Plan of Subdivision has been registered.

Time limits

Applications that require the execution of any type of agreement usually have a time limit on them.

  • Execution of the required agreement must be completed before expiration of the time limit.
  • If an extension of time is requested, an application for the extension and the associated fee are required along with a letter outlining the reason(s) the application has not been completed. Administration staff would then review the request to determine if circumstances affecting the application have changed.

Registering a Plan of Subdivision.

Once you have met all of the conditions of approval, the City’s officers sign your Plan of Subdivision mylars, which can then be registered in the Winnipeg Land Titles Office.

Contact Information

For assistance from Planning, Property and Development Department staff at 204-986-5140:

  • Contact the Zoning and Permits Branch for advice on whether your proposal complies with zoning regulations and relevant City plans
  • Contact the Development Management Branch for advice on the subdivision as it relates to orderly development.
  • Contact the Land Development Branch for an explanation of the overall approval process. They can direct you to any other agencies that you should consult.


This information is available in a brochure format
669 KB  | Download

Last update: November 10, 2017