Crime Prevention Personal Safety
Safety While Traveling
Many areas of the world have a higher incidence of crime than Winnipeg. It pays to TakeAction to ensure your trip is safe and successful.
BEFORE TAKING A TRIP
- Use a reputable travel agency.
- Learn as much as you can about your destination.
- Select the safest routes using current maps and travel information.
- If traveling to another country, check with the Government of Canada Department of Foreign Affairs. They can inform you of any travel advisories regarding security problems or health conditions in that country.
- Pack wisely. Being overburdened with luggage makes you more of a target.
- Avoid packing valuables or items you cannot afford to replace or have stolen.
- Never put personal information on luggage tags (use business instead of home phone number).
- Never leave luggage unattended.
- Lock all luggage.
- Dress wisely (avoid looking like a tourist or appearing wealthy).
- Leave a complete travel schedule with a trusted family member or friend (where and when you will be at a location and how you can be reached)
HOTEL AND MOTEL SAFETY
- Choose reputable establishments (recommended by travel agency or auto club, etc.).
- Do a complete security check of the room with hotel staff present.
- Ensure there is a peep hole in the door and that the dead bolt and other locks are in good working order.
- Keep the doors locked when in the room (purchase a travel door lock for added security).
- Never open your door to anyone you do not know (if the person states they work for the hotel, call the front desk and confirm this before allowing them entry).
- Keep valuables locked in the hotel safe and get a receipt.
RENTAL CARS AND TAXIS
- Use reputable car rental and licensed taxi companies, if possible.
- Record the name and license number of the cab and driver.
- Know the route you want to take and instruct the driver.
- Choose a rental car company that does not advertise or identify its vehicles as rentals.
- Keep car doors locked and windows rolled up at all times.
- Keep valuables out of sight and locked in the trunk.
- Keep purses on the floor under the seat
If you need more information or have any questions about Personal Safety While Traveling, please contact the Winnipeg Police Service Community Relations Unit at 204-986-6322 or email us.
- email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- fax your request to 204-957-2450
- mail your request to:
Community Relations Unit
P.O Box 1680
Canada R3C 2Z7
"An Internationally Accredited Law Enforcement Agency"
All pages on this website are printer friendly
|||||||A - Z Index|
* Top of Page