History & Museum Winnipeg Police Museum
|Winnipeg Police Museum | 1925 Police Patrol Wagon | In the Line of Duty | Kings Police Medals | Motorcycles | Museum & Historical Society | Old Jail Cell | Soft Body Armour|
Kings Police Medals
In 1909 King Edward VII authorized the creation of a medal for issue to members of a recognized police force or fire department throughout the British Empire for acts of gallantry or long and dedicated service. These were the highest awards available to police officers.
The last awards in Canada were made in 1950 and during that time only 52 medals had been presented to Canadians. There were only a few medals awarded for long and dedicated service in the early years as Canada decided not to send those nominations to England and only apply for gallantry awards.
Members of the Winnipeg Police Force were honoured to receive 5 of those King's Police Medals, one for long and dedicated service and four for gallantry.
In 1913 retired Chief Constable John McRae received a medal for long and dedicated service.
In 1913 the first gallantry medals in Canada were awarded to Constables William Traynor and Hugh Brown for their actions in apprehending two escaped American convicts wanted for numerous crimes in Winnipeg. Constable Traynor was shot and wounded in this incident and died shortly before the medals were presented.
In 1946 two more officers, Constables James Gray and Leonard Davies were awarded gallantry medals for their actions in a gunfight in 1937 in which a bullet passed through Constable Gray's overcoat before the criminal was shot. The award recommendations were misplaced during the war years so were awarded in 1946.
The Winnipeg Police Museum is proud to display 3 of these King's Police Medals. They are the medals awarded to:
Retired Chief Constable John C. McRae in 1913
Contable William Traynor in 1913
Constable Leonard Davies in 1946
* Top of Page