Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |

Winnipeg Police Service

Accessibility

History & Museum > Pre-Amalgamation Police Department Histories

The Winnipeg Police Department - History & Formation
Assiniboia Police Dept | Brooklands Police Dept | East Kildonan Police | Fort Garry Police | North Kildonan Police Dept | Old Kildonan Police Dept | St. Boniface Police | St. James-Assiniboia Police Dept | St. James Police Dept | St. Vital Police | Transcona Police | Tuxedo Police | West Kildonan Police
 

Shoulder Flashes

West Kildonan Police Shoulder Flash
West Kildonan Police Shoulder Flash
West Kildonan Police Shoulder Flash
West Kildonan Police Shoulder Flash
West Kildonan Police Shoulder Flash
 

Hat Badges

West Kildonan Police Shoulder Flash
West Kildonan Police Shoulder Flash
 

Wallet Badge

West Kildonan Police Shoulder Flash

West Kildonan Police 1915-1974

The Rural Municipality of West Kildonan was incorporated in 1915 at which time a Police force was established. It remained a one-man department for many years, but expanded in the early 1950's as the area developed. In 1972, The West Kildonan Police Department (22 members) absorbed the Old Kildonan-West St. Paul Police Department (7 members) in preparation for the complete amalgamation of all forces in 1974. The West Kildonan Police Department had 29 members when it amalgamated with the Winnipeg Police on October 21, 1974.

 

History

From 1876 to 1914, the Rural Municipality of Kildonan covered a large area on both sides of the Red River, just north of the original City of Winnipeg. In 1914, the area east of the river became the R. M. of East Kildonan, and the area west of the river became the R. M. of West Kildonan. 

On April 1, 1915 the District known as West Kildonan was incorporated as a Municipality. The first Chief Constable was James NEWMAN who served from 1915 to 1926. He was succeeded by Tom DONALD who served until 1938. During Chief DONALD's tenure of office, the department purchased it's first cruiser car to replace a motorcycle which had been in use since the force was formed.

William ROBERTSON became Chief Constable in 1938 and served until 1946 when he was succeeded by Gerald LISCUM who remained in office until 1949. Chief Philip BROWN was appointed to the position in 1949 and remained in office until the unification of all Greater Winnipeg Police forces in 1974.

During Chief BROWN's tenure of office the force had grown from 3 men to 29, patrolling approximately 7 square miles and serving a population of 31,000. West Kildonan became a City in 1961, and on January 1, 1972 amalgamated with the Municipalities of Old Kildonan and West St. Paul. The Chief Constable of Old Kildonan, Ben AISANSTAT, was appointed Deputy Chief Constable of the West Kildonan Force.

Following unification in 1974, West Kildonan became part of District 3 in the new City of Winnipeg Police Department.

 

Pre-Amalgamation Staff List

Chief of Police: BROWN, Phillip H.
Sergeants:

BELL , Robert
BUCHANAN, Barry
PRIESTLY, Trevor
SANDY, Alex
WOZNY, William

Constables:

ARMSTRONG, Dwight
COOKE, Allan
DRIME, Robert E.
FINNEY, Edward
GORMAN, Ronald E.
HARRIS, Randy P.
JACOBSON, Nels T.
JANZEN, Frank
KARPENKO, Paul
KEHLER, William
MELNYK, John
MONOSTORI, Andrew
PHILLIPS, David
SCHIRMACHER, Alfred
THOMPSON, D. George
WOLOCHATIUK, Arnold

 

 

 

The Winnipeg Police Museum is always seeking information, pictures or stories about the pre-amalgamation forces. If you have information on this department, please send an email to Staff Sergeant Rod Hutter.

 

CALEA Logo Click to visit the CALEA website.
"An Internationally Accredited Law Enforcement Agency"
Last update: September 21, 2017

 * Top of Page