Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |

Winnipeg Police Service

Accessibility

History & Museum > Pre-Amalgamation Police Department Histories

The Winnipeg Police Department - History & Formation
Assiniboia Police Dept | Brooklands Police Dept | East Kildonan Police | Fort Garry Police | North Kildonan Police Dept | Old Kildonan Police Dept | St. Boniface Police | St. James-Assiniboia Police Dept | St. James Police Dept | St. Vital Police | Transcona Police | Tuxedo Police | West Kildonan Police
 

Shoulder Flashes

St. Vital Police Shoulder Flash
St. Vital Police Shoulder Flash
St. Vital Police Shoulder Flash
St. Vital Police Shoulder Flash
St. Vital Police Shoulder Flash
St. Vital Police Shoulder Flash
 

Wallet Badges

St. Vital Police Badge
St. Vital Police Badge

St. Vital Police 1913-1974

The area on the east side of the Red River, south of the French settlement of St. Boniface became the Rural Municipality of St. Vital in 1880 with the first Police Officer being appointed in 1913. The area continued to grow and became a City in 1962. The St. Vital Police Department had 35 members when it amalgamated with the Winnipeg Police on October 21, 1974.

History

The District known as St. Vital became a Municipality in the year 1880, and a City in the year 1962. The Police Department was formed in 1913 with the appointment of M. LALONDE as Chief Constable.

Chief LALONDE was succeeded by the following Chief Constables:

H. E. ROSE 1916 - 1925
A. JOURDAIN 1925 - 1929
A. PATTERSON 1929 - 1949
F. DALE 1949 - 1953
R. W. ALCOCK 1953 - 1959
E. STANLEY 1959 - 1968
D. F. PARKER 1968 - 1974

In 1974, prior to the unification of all the Greater Winnipeg Police Departments, St. Vital Police Force had a strength of 35 men patrolling an area of 22 square miles and serving a population of 40,000. 

St. Vital became a part of District No. 5 of the new City of Winnipeg Police Department.

 

Pre-Amalgamation Staff List

Chief of Police: PARKER, D. Forbes
Inspectors:

BINNIE, W. George
GIBSON, Donald

Detective Sergeant:

WHILE, A. Jack

Sergeants:

FURR, William
JONES, Walter
McKAY, Robert

Patrol Sergeants:

AMOS, Brian
BOLTON, Ross
PAGAN, William

Detectives:

BURR, Norman
WEBSTER, Frank G.
WILLIAMS, Harry

Constables:

BARANEISKI, Charles
BARRETT, Anthony
BARRETT, Clifford
BARTON, Gordon M.
BEACH, Dwight
BYCHUK, Paul A.
CAMERON, Kenneth W.
CLARKE, G. Vance
COCKBURN, Hugh L.
CREIGHTON, Edward L.
DOWHY, Wilfred P.
FORTIER, Robert L.
MOIR, David R.
MONEY, John I.
MONKMAN, Ernie
PRESCOTT, J. Gary
ROMANOW, Victor
SIWAK, Carl S.
SMARZ, Peter
STEWART, Colin N.
STUBB, Gregory
TOUTANT, Robert L.

   

Wallet Badges (continued...)

St. Vital Police Badge St. Vital Police Badge St. Vital Police Badge St. Vital Police Badge St. Vital Police Badge St. Vital Police BadgeSt. Vital Police BadgeSt. Vital Police Badge St. Vital Police Badge St. Vital Police Badge St. Vital Police Badge

The Winnipeg Police Museum is always seeking information, pictures or stories about the pre-amalgamation forces. If you have information on this department, please send an email to Staff Sergeant Rod Hutter.

 

CALEA Logo Click to visit the CALEA website.
"An Internationally Accredited Law Enforcement Agency"
Last updJuly 27, 2007te -->

 * Top of Page