Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |

Winnipeg Police Service

Accessibility

History & Museum > Pre-Amalgamation Police Department Histories

The Winnipeg Police Department - History & Formation
Assiniboia Police Dept | Brooklands Police Dept | East Kildonan Police | Fort Garry Police | North Kildonan Police Dept | Old Kildonan Police Dept | St. Boniface Police | St. James-Assiniboia Police Dept | St. James Police Dept | St. Vital Police | Transcona Police | Tuxedo Police | West Kildonan Police
 

Shoulder Flashes

Old Kildonan Police Shoulder Flash
Old Kildonan Police Shoulder Flash
Old Kildonan Police Shoulder Flash
Old Kildonan Police Shoulder Flash

Old Kildonan Police Department 1925-1972

The Rural Municipality of Old Kildonan was originally part of the Rural Municipality of West Kildonan (formed in 1914). The two municipalities divided in 1925 and maintained separate Police forces. In 1972, the Old Kildonan-West St. Paul Police Department (7 members) was absorbed by the West Kildonan Police Department (22 members) in preparation for the complete amalgamation of all forces in 1974.

 

History

From 1876 to 1914, the Rural Municipality of Kildonan covered a large area on both sides of the Red River, just north of the original City of Winnipeg. In 1914, the area east of the river became the R. M. of East Kildonan, and the area west of the river became the R. M. of West Kildonan. In 1924, residents in the primarily rural northern part of East Kildonan, were said to be burdened by high sewer and water taxes from the built-up area to the south. This resulted in their separation and the Municipality of North Kildonan came into being.

At this time, West Kildonan included the area of Old Kildonan but in 1925 the two municipalities divided and maintained separate Police forces. For a brief period Old Kildonan joined with the Rural Municipality of West St. Paul for Policing services. On January 1, 1972, the Municipalities of Old Kildonan and West St. Paul amalgamated with the City of West Kildonan. The Chief Constable of Old Kildonan, Ben AISANSTAT, was appointed Deputy Chief Constable of the West Kildonan Force.

 

Pre-Amalgamation Staff List

Chief of Police: AISENSTAT, Bennie
Constables:

BROWN, Orien W.
FERRIS, Paul M.
LAGRANDEUR, J. W. Graham
McLELLAN, Garry N.
LUHOWY, Boris
OWCHAR, Metro

   

   

Hat Badge

Wallet Badge

Old Kildonan Police Badge
Old Kildonan Police Badge

The Winnipeg Police Museum is always seeking information, pictures or stories about the pre-amalgamation forces. If you have information on this department, please send an email to Staff Sergeant Rod Hutter.

 

CALEA Logo Click to visit the CALEA website.
"An Internationally Accredited Law Enforcement Agency"
Last update: October 4, 2017

 * Top of Page