Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |

Winnipeg Police Service

Accessibility

History & Museum > Pre-Amalgamation Police Department Histories

The Winnipeg Police Department - History & Formation
Assiniboia Police Dept | Brooklands Police Dept | East Kildonan Police | Fort Garry Police | North Kildonan Police Dept | Old Kildonan Police Dept | St. Boniface Police | St. James-Assiniboia Police Dept | St. James Police Dept | St. Vital Police | Transcona Police | Tuxedo Police | West Kildonan Police
 

Shoulder Flash

North Kildonan Police Department Shoulder Flash
 

Hat Badge

North Kildonan Police Department Badge
 

Wallet Badges

North Kildonan Police Department Badge
North Kildonan Police Department Wallet Badge

North Kildonan Police Department 1925-1971

In 1972, the North Kildonan Police Department (18 members) was absorbed by the East Kildonan Police Department (39 members) in preparation for the complete amalgamation of all forces 1974. The two forces worked together out of the East Kildonan Police station at 545 Watt Street.

 

History

From 1876 to 1914, the Rural Municipality of Kildonan covered a large area on both sides of the Red River, just north of the original City of Winnipeg. In 1914, the area east of the river became the R. M. of East Kildonan, and the area west of the river became the R. M. of West Kildonan. In 1924, residents in the primarily rural northern part of East Kildonan, were said to be burdened by high sewer and water taxes from the built-up area to the south. This resulted in their separation and the Municipality of North Kildonan came into being.

The R. M. of North Kildonan was incorporated on January 1, 1925. The first Constable was William STALKER who also served as Public Works man, Poundkeeper and Weed Inspector. Police Headquarters was located in Constable STALKER's house on Birds Hill Road and he used his own automobile for Police business. STALKER was succeeded by his son John in 1945, however John STALKER later resigned in 1949 to take a position with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Several Policemen were hired on a part-time basis between 1949 and 1953, and during a vacancy the East Kildonan Police patrolled the Municipality for one year until July 1, 1953, when the North Kildonan council again established its own Police Force. Three Chief Constables, William SIMPSON, Archie BATCHELOR and Joseph WALKER served for short periods until January 1954 when George F. LOVE was appointed and served until 1968. He was succeeded by John URCHENKO, who had been a member of the force since 1954. URCHENKO remained in that position until December 31, 1971, when the forces of East Kildonan and North Kildonan amalgamated to form the East Kildonan Community Police Department. At that time the North Kildonan Force consisted of 18 men serving a population of approximately 19,000 people.

 

Pre-Amalgamation Staff List

Chief of Police: URCHENKO, John
Sergeants:

PIETRACCI, Joseph

Patrol Sergeants:

BOHN, Clifford
JORDAN, Patrick
POPIEL, Ed

Constables:

CAMERON, Rod
ENNS, Richard
FEENSTRA, Peter
GRAHAM, Eldon
HOKANSON, Bruce
JOYAL, Richard
KEATINGE, C. Rex
KOWALCHUK, John
LLOYD, Douglas
MARLAND, William
PATRICK, Robert
SEALE, Brian
SEWELL, Sam

 

The Winnipeg Police Museum is always seeking information, pictures or stories about the pre-amalgamation forces. If you have information on this department, please send an email to Staff Sergeant Rod Hutter.

 

CALEA Logo Click to visit the CALEA website.
"An Internationally Accredited Law Enforcement Agency"
Last update: September 21, 2017

 * Top of Page