Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |

Winnipeg Police Service

Accessibility

History & Museum > Pre-Amalgamation Police Department Histories

The Winnipeg Police Department - History & Formation
Assiniboia Police Dept | Brooklands Police Dept | East Kildonan Police | Fort Garry Police | North Kildonan Police Dept | Old Kildonan Police Dept | St. Boniface Police | St. James-Assiniboia Police Dept | St. James Police Dept | St. Vital Police | Transcona Police | Tuxedo Police | West Kildonan Police

 

Shoulder Flashes

Assiniboia Police Department Shoulder Flash
 
 

Hat Badges

Assiniboia Police Department Hat Badge
Assiniboia Police Department Hat Badge
Assiniboia Police Department Hat Badge
Assiniboia Police Department Hat Badge
Assiniboia Police Department 1881-1969

In 1969, the Assiniboia Police Department (16 members) was absorbed by the St. James Police in preparation for the amalgamation of all forces into the City of Winnipeg Police. The reformed St. James-Assiniboia Police Department had 82 members when it amalgamated with the Winnipeg Police on October 21, 1974.

 

History

The large District of Assiniboia became a Municipality in 1880 and originally included the area of St. James. Later in 1881, the Council appointed James HALLETT and Frank NESS as Constables to create the Assiniboia Police Force. In 1921, St. James became a separate Municipality with it's own Police Force headed by Chief Herbert WALTON. The Law Enforcement Officer for Assiniboia was Constable DIXON during this time. 

St. James later received City status in 1956, and in 1967 absorbed the Village of Brooklands along with their 5 man Police Force headed by Chief William SMERCHANSKI.

A further change in 1969 saw the re-amalgamation of the City of St. James with the Rural Municipality of Assiniboia. The 16 member Assiniboia Police Force headed by Chief Ken MCCASKILL, joined with the St. James Police to form the new St. James-Assiniboia Police Department. George MALTBY became Chief Constable with MCCASKILL and Herbert ROGERS appointed as Deputy Chiefs. Ken MCCASKILL succeeded Chief MALTBY in 1970, and ROGERS remained as a single Deputy Chief.

Prior to the unification of all Greater Winnipeg Police Forces in 1974, the St. James - Assiniboia Police Force, with a Police and civilian strength of 95, served a population of 75,000 and patrolled an area of 41 square miles. Upon amalgamation, this area became District No. 2 of the new City of Winnipeg Police Department.

 

Pre-Amalgamation Staff List

Chief of Police: McCASKILL, Kenneth N.
Sergeant: BROWN, James E.
Patrol Sergeant: SCOTT, Richard B.
Detectives:

MULARCHUK, Edward
SCHMIDT, Irvin P.

Constables:

ANDERTON, Nicholas S.
BILLECK, Wayne P.
DRYSDALE, John D.
FLOCK, Robert J.
HONEY, Bruce W.
KELBERT, Eric
OLSON, Ken W. H.
OWENS, Ken J.
PAULISHYN, Edward A.
SAVINKOFF, Peter
SOROKA, Ted M

 

The Winnipeg Police Museum is always seeking information, pictures or stories about the pre-amalgamation forces. If you have information on this department, please send an email to Staff Sergeant Rod Hutter.

 

CALEA Logo Click to visit the CALEA website.
"An Internationally Accredited Law Enforcement Agency"
Last update: October 4, 2017

 * Top of Page