- Research the department where the job you have applied for is located. You may consider taking a look at the web page for the specific department at www.winnipeg.ca.
- Be sure you understand the qualifications required for the position and be prepared to discuss how your qualifications meet those required for the job.
- Think about why you want this job and what you will bring to your employment that is unique.
- Be sure to bring with you any documents that have been requested.
- Think about work situations you may encounter, and strategize about how you have, or might handle those situations in the workforce.
- Prepare some questions to ask the interview committee. These questions should demonstrate that you have reflected on the connection between your qualifications, this particular position and the ďfitĒ with the overall directions of the department and the City of Winnipeg.
- Arrive on time, dressed in a clean, professional manner.
- Be prepared for a team interview. Greet each person individually. Wait to be directed to a particular seat.
- Be polite and direct with the interview committee.
- Answer their questions directly. Donít be afraid to ask for clarification if you donít understand a question being asked.
- When given the opportunity, ask questions of the interview committee.
- Above all, be yourself. Present yourself as relaxed and confident. Before you leave, it is appropriate to ask what the next steps are in the selection process, when the decision will be made, and how you will be notified of the decision. Thank the committee members and leave when the interview is completed. Ensure that you know when to expect some follow-up with respect to the position.
Last update: 31.01.2011
* Top of Page