SAMPLE JOB POSTING
BUILDING PROJECT ENGINEER/ARCHITECT
PLANNING, PROPERTY AND DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT
Under the general direction of the Project Services Administrator the Building Project Engineer/Architect carries out assignments according to guidelines and policy without reference to Supervisors.† The Building Project Engineer/Architect directs, manages complex building construction projects including the design, construction of major new facilities and site development, including associated underground/overhead services and infrastructure.
1. Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering with
membership in or eligible for registration in the Association of Professional
Engineers and Geoscientists of the Province of Manitoba
Masterís Degree in Architecture and membership in the Manitoba Association of Architects.
2. Several years directly related experience in project management of major building or architect projects/developments.
3. Ability to supervise and manage professional consultants (engineering, architectural, environmental, etc.), technical support staff in order to successfully complete projects on time and within budgets.
4. Good working knowledge of building/system design, site design, current construction/maintenance practice, technical standards, material science and testing procedures.
5. Ability to prepare and present comprehensive technical reports and recommendations in a clear and concise manner base on mature engineering judgment.
6. Knowledge of standards, specifications, codes, legislation, and environmental requirements, applicable to municipal buildings/public works.
7. Ability to organize, coordinate, plan, maintain schedules, control a large number of projects.
8. Ability to prepare and make public presentations, communicate effectively orally and in writing with the general public, media, civic and government officials, business persons, contractors and other agencies in a professional, tactful manner.
9. A good working knowledge of contract law, legal systems, dispute resolution, claims procedures, and good negotiating skills.
10. Ability to work well under stressful conditions and to conceive new and innovative solutions to complex construction problems.
11. Ability to establish/maintain effective working relationships with consultants (engineering, architectural, environments, etc) contractors, fellow City workers, City Departments, Councillors, Administrators and technical staff of Federal/Provincial Departments, the general public and media.
12. Ability to effectively use a personal computer and working knowledge of spreadsheet and data base software
13. Demonstrated ability to provide leadership that promotes an organizational culture conductive to the development of a highly motivated workforce, where initiative, creativity and innovation are required, encouraged and nurtured.
14. Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and direction to staff in a dynamic, diverse, and unionized team environment.
15. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders, (e.g. elected officials, civic, staff, the public and volunteer community organizations) having multiple interests.
16. Working knowledge of the principles and practices of financial management, controllership and full cost accounting.
17. A sound knowledge of information and budget systems (e.g. PeopleSoft).
18. Demonstrated proficiency in MAXIMO within three (3) months.
19. Must possess a valid Class 5 Manitoba Driverís Licence.
20. Must have, or be able to acquire in a reasonable period of time, a thorough knowledge of the occupational hazards and the safety precautions and regulations that are applicable to the positionís area of work.
The successful applicant will be required to provide a vehicle for transportation while on City business, subject to the terms and conditions of the City Transportation Policy.† A Criminal Record Check will be required for the successful candidate, at their expense.
The information provided is a SAMPLE Job Description only.†
Please check Current Openings at:† www.winnipeg.ca/hr for a list of job opportunities.
THE CITY OF WINNIPEG IS AN EMPLOYMENT EQUITY EMPLOYER
For more information visit:† http://www.winnipeg.ca/hr/e&d/default.stm