How to Volunteer
Permanent protection has been added to many properties along the Red River over the years, greatly reducing the need to build sand bag dikes. For the few properties that need to have sand bag dikes built, the bag counts are relatively low and home owners, familiar with this type of work from past experience, should be able to complete the work using their own network of friends and family.
Should circumstances change significantly, up-to-date information would be communicated immediately.
The City of Winnipeg encourages volunteers to call surrounding municipalities to see if assistance is needed and when.
What Do Emergency Volunteers Do?
Volunteers assist their communities in many ways, including:
- Providing essential services at a reception centre during an emergency or disaster
- Providing educational session to groups, businesses, schools on emergency preparedness
- Assisting in radio communication
- Providing emotional support to people in need following a disaster
- Identifying potential food, clothing, lodging, pet care, resources, etc.
- Assisting with preparedness or response activities such as sandbagging
Volunteers may be needed to assist in various capacities during an emergency or disaster.