Text size: A | A | A
Français  |    |   

Property and Neighbourhood Standards



Part 5 (Noise Control) of the Neighbourhood Liveability By-law will regulate noise nuisance activities.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I call about a loud party or music at a house or people related noise?
Contact the Winnipeg Police Service at 204-986-6222

My neighbour’s air conditioner or furnace is really loud.  Can anything be done about that?
Contact the Community By-law Enforcement Services at 311 to register a complaint.

What are the noise levels for air conditioners or air moving units?
Air conditioners, fans or air moving equipment cannot produce a noise level above 55 dBA between 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.; and 50 dBA between 9:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.

How do I get a Noise Permit?
You can apply for a Noise Permit through the Winnipeg Police Service. 

What noises are exempt?

(a) emergency sirens and signals used during an emergency by an ambulance, fire vehicle or police vehicle;

(b) sound produced in the course of constructing, maintaining, rehabilitating or otherwise working on a street or property owned by the City of Winnipeg;

(c) military bands or parades or other parades operating under a permit issued under the Traffic By-law or a successor by-law;

(d) activities normally associated with:

(i) places of religious worship, religious retreat and religious instruction that qualify for a partial exemption from real property taxation under clause 22 (1)(i) of The Municipal Assessment Act; and; (ii) public schools, as that term is used in The Public Schools Act, and private schools, as that term is used in The Education Administration Act; including worship services, children’s play and school-sponsored activities on school yards, and the ringing of church or school bells.

(e) sound producing devices used during the month of December for the rendering of Christmas carols;

(f) aircraft and railway rolling stock;

(g) an activity, work or undertaking performed by or through the City in respect of public services, facilities or installations;

(h) an activity for which a permit has been issued by the designated employee.

What noises are prohibited under the Neighbourhood Liveabilty By-law?
The Liveability By-Law requires that a person must not make or continue, or cause to be made or continued, or own or harbour an animal that makes:

(a) an unreasonably loud, unnecessary or excessive noise or sound;

(b) a noise or sound which unreasonably disturbs, injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of a reasonable individual of ordinary sensitivity; or

(c) a noise or sound which is so harsh, prolongued, unnatural or unusual in time and place so as to occasion unreasonable discomfort to any individual or so as to detrimentally affect residential properties or places of business.

Certain activities that cause excessive noise within 150 meters of a residential property are restricted before 7:00 am. and after 9:00pm. Monday to Friday and 9:00am. and after 9:00pm. Saturday, Sunday and statutory holidays.

Excessive noise activities may include:

Power Saw
Power Garden Tools
Heavy construction equipment or tools
Testing of motor vehicles
Powered model vehicles

For complaints related to these types of noise issues please contact the City of Winnipeg at 311.

What can I do if my neighbour's dog is barking?
Contact the City of Winnipeg at 311 to register a complaint. For information on barking dogs click here.



Last update: 08.06.2012

  * Top of Page