Accessibility
Français  |    | 
311
Timeline of Winnipeg Historical Events 1670-2012

1670 - 1875 1875 - 1886 1886 - 1911 1911 - 1921 1921 - 1950
1950 - 1965 1965 - 1977 1977 - 1989 1989 - 1993 1993 - 1996
1996 - 1999 1999 - 2007 2007 - 2012    

1670 - 1875
1670 May 2 - Charter granted by King Charles II to "The Governor and Company of Adventurers of England trading into Hudson's Bay" (Hudson's Bay Company). This charter deeded to the Hudson's Bay Company "all that territory draining into the rivers flowing into Hudson's Bay". Thus the greater portion of the Dominion of Canada came into possession of the Hudson's Bay Company and so remained until 1869, when the company relinquished its territorial rights to the Dominion of Canada.
1738 Fur trading post of Fort Rouge established.
1812 Lord Selkirk's Colonists reached the banks of the Red River where Winnipeg now stands.
1816 Governor Semple killed at Seven Oaks.
1820 St. John's College founded, oldest seat of learning in Western Canada.
1822 Fort Garry (formerly Fort Gibralter) erected.
1835 Fort Garry rebuilt.
1855 February 28 - First post office in Western Canada opened. William Ross appointed Postmaster.
1859 First steamboat navigating the upper Red River reached Fort Garry.
1869 Transfer of land by Hudson's Bay Company to the Dominion of Canada.
1869 Uprising of Metis population under leadership of Louis Riel.
1870 Thomas Scott, opponent of Louis Riel, shot March 4 by order of Riel.
1870 Military expedition from Eastern Canada led by Colonel Garnet Wolseley reached Fort Garry. Louis Riel fled to the United States and uprising was terminated.
1870 Province of Manitoba formed and became the fifth province in the Dominion of Canada.
1873 November 8 - Winnipeg incorporated; four wards with three aldermen for each ward.
1873 City Limits - Bounded on north by Burrows Avenue west of Main Street, and Aberdeen Avenue east of Main Street; on south by Assiniboine River; on east by Red River; and on the west by Maryland Street, Notre Dame Avenue and McPhillips Street.
1874 January 19 - 12 o'clock noon. First meeting of City of Winnipeg's Council held on the second floor of Bentley's new building at north-west corner of Portage Avenue and Main Street.
1874 September 16 - First Civic Holiday observed.

Back to top

1875 - 1886
1875 City Limits extended to Aberdeen Avenue between Main Street and McPhillips Street.
1875 Cornerstone laying ceremony for the first City Hall
1876 The City of Winnipeg's First City Hall, City of Winnipeg Photo First City Hall and Theatre erected.
1876 October 12 - First shipment of wheat exported from the Province of Manitoba (857 1/6 bushels at 85 cents per bushel). Exported by Higgins & Young, Winnipeg; consigned to Steele Bros., Toronto.
1877 University of Manitoba founded.
1877 Arrival in Winnipeg of C. P. R. Engine No. 1, Countess of Dufferrin.
1878 First Railway service to Winnipeg from St. Paul, Minnesota.
1878 First telephone brought to Winnipeg by Mr. H. McDougall.
1880 R. M. of St. Boniface annexed part of St. Vital.
1880 R. M. of Assiniboia incorporated.
1882 Ward One, being the district known as Fort Rouge, taken into the City. Wards increased to six in number.
1882 City limits extended north to Kitchener Avenue and lane north of Luxton Avenue; south of Wilkes Avenue, Waverley Street, lane south of Parker Avenue to Red River and west to Keewatin Street, St. James Street and west boundary of Parish of St. Boniface (86 feet west of Kenaston Boulevard).
1882 First water supply in Winnipeg from Assiniboine River.
1882 First street railway system inaugurated (horse drawn cars).
1883 Town of St. Boniface incorporated out of R. M. of St. Boniface.
1884 Council reduced to two Alderman for each Ward.
1884 July 19 - Corner stone of second City Hall laid by Mayor Alexander Logan.
1884 December 8 - Inauguration of ballot system of voting at Municipal Elections in Winnipeg.
1885 November 16 - Louis Riel hanged for leading two Metis uprisings and for the 1870 execution of Thomas Scott.

Back to top

1886 - 1911
1886 July 1 - First Railway train over the Canadian Pacific Railway from Montreal to Vancouver.
1886 The City of Winnipeg's Second City Hall, City of Winnipeg Photo Second City Hall completed.
1887 View North Down Main Street from Graham Avenue in 1887, City of Winnipeg Photo View North down Main Street from Graham Avenue.
1892 First electric street cars inaugurated.
1893 R. M. of Rosser organized.
1893 First meeting of the Winnipeg Public Parks Board
1897 Fort Garry Gateway presented to City by Hudson's Bay Company.
1899 City of Winnipeg purchased Water Works Company and, from 1900 - 1911, supplied water from wells.
1902 Brookside Cemetery included in City limits.
1902 Province of Manitoba grants the City a second Special Charter of Incorporation after repealing the first in 1886.
1903 R. M. of St. Boniface changed to R. M. of St. Vital.
1905 Assiniboine Park included in City Limits.
1906 Part Municipality of Kildonan (Elmwood), taken into the City and wards increased to seven in number, Elmwood being designated Ward Seven.
1906 Lots 3 and 4, Parish of Kildonan, lying west of McGregor Street, taken into the city.
1907 Lot 3, Parish of Kildonan, lying west of McGregor Street, taken into the City.
1907 Board of Control System inaugurated and was later abolished in 1918
1908 Redwood Bridge built.
1908 High Pressure Pumping Station and piping system constructed.

Back to top

1911 - 1921
1911 Town of Tuxedo incorporated.
1911 Provincial Government purchased 543 acres of land for an agricultural college which was to become University of Manitoba.
1911 Municipal Hydro-Electric Works at Pointe du Bois completed and in operation.
1912 Selkirk Centennial.
1912 April 16 - R. M. of Fort Garry incorporated. Formerly part of R. M. of St. Vital.
1912 Elm Park Bridge built.
1912 Town of Transcona incorporated.
1912 Provincial boundaries extended to shores of Hudson Bay.
1913 Lots 1 and 2, St. Charles, added to City and made part of Ward One.
1913 R. M. of Charleswood incorporated.
1913 City limits extended west to Doncaster Street.
1914 R. M. of Kildonan split into the R. M. of West Kildonan and the R. M. of East Kildonan.
1914 Portion of St. Vital annexed to City of St. Boniface.
1915 R. M. of St. Paul split into R. M. of East St. Paul and R. M. of West St. Paul.
1918 Kildonan Park and Golf Course included in City Limits.
1918 City Charter revised and consolidated.
1919 April 5 - Greater Winnipeg Aqueduct completed and soft water from Shoal Lake piped into Winnipeg water mains.
1919 May 15 to June 26 - The Winnipeg General Strike. The Strike was a major impetus towards recognition of unions and collective bargaining in Canada.
1920 March 27 - Legislation passed to reduce the number of Wards of the City from seven to three, and increase the number of aldermen from fourteen to eighteen.
1920 December 3 - First Civic Election held under the Proportional Representation system.

Back to top

1921 - 1950
1921 R. M. of St. James incorporated.
1921 Rural portion of West Kildonan separated from R. M. of Old Kildonan.
1921 Village of Brooklands incorporated.
1924 June 18 - Celebration of 50th Anniversary of Incorporation of City of Winnipeg.
1925 Farming community of East Kildonan separated and incorporated as the R. M. of North Kildonan.
1930 June 15 - Celebration of the Diamond Jubilee of Manitoba's formation as a Province and inclusion in Dominion of Canada.
1931 September 1 - Municipal Hydro-Electric Generating Station at Slave Falls officially opened.
1933 November 8 - 60th Anniversary of Incorporation of City of Winnipeg.
1935 August 27 - Work commenced on Greater Winnipeg Sewage Disposal Project.
1937 October 9 - 60th Anniversary of the arrival in Winnipeg of C. P. R. Engine No. 1 - "Countess of Dufferin"
1937 North Winnipeg Sewage Treatment Plant completed.
1938 Winnipeg Charter amended to provide for two-tear term for Mayor.
1939 May 24 - Official visit of His Majesty King George VI and Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth.
1940 November 22 - Question of extension of franchise to all British subjects over 21 years resident in Winnipeg carried by Referendum.
1942 November 27 - First Civic Election with Adult Suffrage in effect.
1949 June 5 to 11 - Celebration of 75th Anniversary of Incorporation of City of Winnipeg.

Back to top

1950 - 1965
1950 April - June - Red River Valley Flood with damage running into millions of dollars. River level (30.3 feet above City Datum) highest in 89 years.
Other major floods by the Red River:
  • 1826 ….. 36.5 feet above City Datum
  • 1852 ….. 34.7 feet above City Datum
  • 1861 ….. 32.5 feet above City Datum
  • 1882 ….. 26.0 feet above City Datum
  • 1892 ….. 23.5 feet above City Datum
  • 1904 ….. 24.6 feet above City Datum
  • 1916 ….. 24.0 feet above City Datum
  • 1948 ….. 23.4 feet above City Datum
  • 1966 ….. 26.3 feet above City Datum
1951 October 16 - Official visit of Their Royal Highnesses the Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh.
1952 Completion of construction of system of permanent dykes along Red River and part of Assiniboine River within the Greater Winnipeg area to give flood protection to a level of 26.5 feet in most areas and 30.3 feet in the downtown and Riverview areas.
1954 City limits extended west to centre line of Edgeland Blvd.
1955 September 19 - Last street car line - Portage Avenue and Main Street - discontinued and street cars replaced with diesel buses.
1956 Winnipeg Charter revised and consolidated.
1956 December 28 - Fluoridation of water supply completed.
1956 City of St. James incorporated.
1957 July 1 - City of East Kildonan incorporated.
1959 July 24 and 25 - Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second and His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh.
1960 March 26 - The metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg incorporated.
1960 Town of Brooklands incorporated.
1961 October 16 - 50th Anniversary of Hydro Electric System
1962 City of Winnipeg limits extended westerly to west limits of No. 6 and No. 7 Provincial Trunk Highways to include area of approximately 3500 acres effective January 1, 1963.
1963 Opening of Red River Community College.
1964 October 5 - Official opening of new "Civic Centre".

Back to top

1965 - 1977
1965 December 14 - Official opening of new St. Vital Bridge.
1966 March 4 - Winter Blizzard - Length 20 hours
Temperature (Max/Min) - 7.8°C/-13.3°C, 18°F/8°F
Amount of snowfall 35.6 cm, 14 inches
Wind Speed 80 km, 50 mph
1966 May 18 - Official opening of New Public Safety Building.
1967 Celebration of 100th Anniversary of Canadian Confederation.
1967 City of St. James-Assiniboine incorporated.
1967 Fifth Pan American Games held in Winnipeg.
1968 St. Boniface Basilica destroyed by fire.
1968 Opening of Red River Floodway.
1970 Celebration of the 100th Anniversary of the Province of Manitoba.
1971 October 6 - Election of first council of new unified City of Winnipeg.
1971 Royal assent given to Bill 36 known as "The City of Winnipeg Act creating Unicity".
1972 January 4 - Inaugural meeting of first council of new unified City of Winnipeg.
1972 Deacon Reservoir completed.
1973 November 8 - 100th Anniversary of Incorporation of City of Winnipeg.
1974 May 10 - Official visit of Her Royal Highness the Princess Margaret and Lord Snowdon.
1974 September 16 - South Winnipeg Sewage Treatment Plant went into operation.
1975 January 11 - Winter Blizzard - length 23 hours
Temperature (Max/Min) -14.4°C/-24.4°C, 6°F/-12°F
Amount of Snowfall 12.2 cm, 4.8 in.
Wind Speed 66 km, 41 mph.
1975 January 14 - Official opening of the new Convention Centre.
1976 April 30 - Official opening of the new Royal Canadian Mint.

Back to top

1977 - 1989
1977 May 4 - Official opening of Winnipeg Centennial Library.
1977 October 26 - Communities reduced from twelve to six and Wards reduced from fifty to twenty-nine.
1978 November 15 - Official opening of "The Fort Garry Bridge".
1979 Official opening of City of Winnipeg Pedestrian Concourse at Portage Avenue and Main Street.
1981 Winnipeg Core Area Initiative - A five year $96 million tripartite governmental initiative was launched to revitalize the economic, social and physical core area of Winnipeg.
1982 Official Opening of KilCona Park and Harbour View Golf Course.
1982 100th Anniversary of Winnipeg Transit.
1982 Official Opening of replacement bridge, Portage Avenue at Sturgeon Creek.
1983 Official Opening of Eldon Ross Swimming Pool.
1984 October 29 - Official opening of "The Slaw Rebchuk Bridge".
1986 Renewal of Winnipeg Core Area Initiative - Agreement renewed for an additional five years, and a one year extension, for $100 million tripartite government initiative launched to revitalize the economic, social and physical core aspects of Winnipeg.
1986 General reassessment of all properties in the City of Winnipeg.
1986 November 7 and 8 - Winter Blizzard - Length 11 hours
Temperature (Max/Min) -6°C/-12°C, 21°F/10°F
Amount of Snowfall 35.2 cm, 13.9 in.
Wind Speed 70 km, 44 mph.
1987 Opening of North Portage Development in downtown Winnipeg, including shopping mall, pedestrian bridges over Portage Avenue, and apartments. A joint development by the Federal, Provincial and City Governments, and private enterprise.
1988 Completion of 1.2 miles of continuous weather-protected pedestrian walkway linking The Bay Department Store to Winnipeg Square, Lombard Concourse and the historic Grain Exchange Building.
1988 July 28 - Sod turning ceremony - The Forks Development

Back to top

1989 - 1993
1989 For the first time, new legislation required the Mayor to appoint a Deputy Mayor, Acting Deputy Mayor and Charipersons of all Standing Committees, and required the Mayor to Chair the Executive Policy Committee.
1989 Councillor J. Eadie elected as City Council's first speaker.
1989 October 4 - Opening of the Forks Market.
1989 October 18 - Opening of Keewatin Underpass.
1990 General reassessment of all properties in the City of Winnipeg (1985 market value).
1990 June 15 - Closing of Amy Street Central Heating Steam Plant.
1990 July 6 to 14 - Western Canada Summer Games held in Winnipeg.
1990 October 19 - Official Opening of Kildonan Bridge over the Red River.
1990 November 8 - Official Opening of Pembina Highway overpass at Bishop Grandin Boulevard, and extension of Bishop Grandin Boulevard to Waverley Street.
1991 March - Winnipeg hosts World Curling Championships.
1991 November 1 - Official naming of the Chief Peguis Trail Roadway which connects the Kildonan Bridge to Main Street and to Henderson Highway.
1991 November 20 to 24 - Winnipeg hosts Grey Cup Festival.
1992 April 21 - First meeting of the Board of Adjustment established by Council on January 22, 1992.
1992 May 6 - First Hansard recording of Council meetings.
1992 May 9 - Headingly incorporates as separate municipality.
1992 October 7 - Amendments to The City of Winnipeg Act provided for the definition and recognition of five Community Committee areas comprising a total of 15 wards, as recommended by the Winnipeg Wards Boundaries Commission.
1992 November 3 - Inaugural meeting of newly elected reduced Council following 1992 Civic Election.
1992 October 28 - Susan A. Thompson became the first woman to be elected as Mayor of Winnipeg.
1992 December 21 - Amalgamation of Districts 1 and 2 of the Operations Department.

Back to top

1993 - 1996
1993 February 1 - 100th Anniversary of the Parks and Recreation Department.
1993 June 23 - By-law No. 5915/92, Plan Winnipeg... toward 2010, is passed, which establishes a long-term plan to guide Winnipeg into the 21st century by addressing the physical, social, economic, and environmental conditions in Winnipeg.
1993 July and August - Winnipeg experienced close to double the normal rainfall amounts. Three major storms struck the city in a 21 day period, between July 24 and August 14. Total damages due to flooding were estimated roughly between $175 - $200 million.
Statistics:
  • 1st Heavy Rainfall - July 24-25. Amounts of precipitation varied from 97mm (Charleswood) to 195mm (St.Boniface/St.Vital).
  • 2nd Heavy Rainfall - August 8. Amounts of precipitation varied from 38mm (St.Norbert) to 93mm (Lord Selkirk-West Kildonan area).
  • 3rd Heavy Rainfall - August 14. Amounts of precipitation ranged from 42mm (Ft. Richmond) to 58mm (North Kildonan).
1993 September - Winnipeg became the first Canadian Municipality to implement a Council Page Program.
1994 February 21 - Winnipeg Police Department renamed Winnipeg Police Service.
1994 April 27 - Council approved "A New Direction for Civic Administration", approving the restructuring of the organization, based on 17 departments.
1994 April 28 - Council passed City By-law No. 6402/94 for the provision of municipal services in both official languages. The by-law contains the City's 5-year implementation plan for delivery of French language services, including the provision of an "Access Guide to Civic Services in French".
1994 Winnipeg awarded as host of the 1999 Pan American Games.
1994 March - Winnipeg Development Agreement - A five year $75 million tripartite governmental initiative was launched to revitalize the economic, social, and physical aspects of Winnipeg.
1995 June - Week of record breaking summer temperatures - 37.8°C (100°F). Daily records from 1888 and 1931 broken.
1995 October 24 - Opening of the 'Charlsewood Bridge'.
1995 October 25 - Automatic Voting Introduced.

Back to top

1996 - 1999
1996 January 1st - "Access to Information By-Law" No. 6420/94 enacted.
1996 January - Winnipeg experienced some of the coldest January temperatures on record:
Average High -18.1°C, Normal High -13.2°C
Average Low -27.4°C, Normal Low -22.6°C
Warmest day of the month: January 12, 2.8°C
Coldest day of the month: January 19, -39.4°C
1996 February - For the 3rd year in a row, the City of Winnipeg was awarded the Canadian Award for Financial Reporting (CAnFR) by the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada (GFOA), for its 1994 Annual Report.
1996 February 9 - 13 - Winnipeg hosted the 7th International Winter Cities Conference.
1996 November 17 - Heaviest recorded snowfall in a single day in 30 years.
1997 February - Official opening of the Sir William Stephenson Library.
1997 March - Council adopted "Reshaping our Civic Government", Executive Policy Committee's Strategic Direction of City Government.
1997 April 5-6 - Worst recorded blizzard in Winnipeg this century. Total accumulated snowfall: 48 cm (Friday to Tuesday). Previous record: 1966 - 38.1 cm snowfall. Duration of storm: 24 hours, Average wind speed: 60km/h, gusting as high as 85 km/h.
1997 April-May - Severe flooding in the Red River Basin, which became known as the "Flood of the Century". The City of Grand Forks, North Dakota was devastated and many rural communities sustained severe damage, but the City of Winnipeg was protected by the Red River Floodway and the Portage Diversion.
1997 September 20 - During a ceremony to reaffirm and permit the Fort Garry Horse Regiment to exercise their traditional right of the "Freedom of the City", the City Zoo's 18 month old black bear Winnie was named as the regiment's mascot. The first Winnie the Bear, later to become famous as Winnie the Pooh, was the regiment's original mascot during World War I.
1997 October 29 - City of Winnipeg Act amended, replacing the Board of Commissioners with a Chief Administrative Officer Model. Also provided for a four-term of office for Mayor and Councillors.
1998 October 21 - The Assiniboine Park Pavilion re-opened after a $4.5 million renovation and building addition. The Pavilion, originally built in 1927 is designated a heritage building. The Pavilion now houses an upscale restaurant and three art galleries, which comprise the works of Manitoba artists Ivan Eyre, Walter J. Phillips and Clarence Tillenius.

Back to top

1999 - 2007
1999 January 27 - The 125th Anniversary of the first City Council Meeting, held on January 19, 1874.
1999 June - Opening of the Lyric Bandshell at Assiniboine Park with funding provided by the Asper Foundation and is located behind the Assiniboine Park Pavilion. The facility is used for summer outdoor performances and has the following amenities: rigging, sound, lighting and dressing rooms. It can accommodate large audiences and is used for annual events such as the Royal Winnipeg Ballet’s Ballet in the Park, Pooh Friendship Day and symphony, opera and jazz festivals.
1999 June - Official opening of CanWest Global Baseball Park.
1999 August - The Manitoba Theatre for Young People moved into its new building at The Forks. The CanWest Global Performing Arts Centre is a 28,000 square foot facility. It has four studios, a rehearsal room, wardrobe, prop and scene building shops, administration and the jewel, a re-configurable theatre.
1999 July 24 to August 8 - Winnipeg hosted the 13th Pam American Games.
1999 December 26, 1998 to January 5, 1999 - Winnipeg hosted the World Junior Hockey Championships.
2000 April - The first Carol Shields Winnipeg Book Award was presented at Brave New Words, the Manitoba Writing and Publishing Awards gala. The $5,000 award is presented annually to honour books that evoke the special character of and contribute to the appreciation and understanding of the City of Winnipeg. The award was established by the Winnipeg Arts Council and is funded by the City of Winnipeg.
2000 November 17 - Winnipeg residents bid 124,250 Britishpounds ($177,000 US) at a Sotheby’s auction and won the only known oil painting of Winnie the Pooh by his original illustrator, E.H. Shepard. The large painting of Pooh holding a honey pot is located in the Pavilion Gallery Museum in Assiniboine Park.
2002 January - Utilizing an electronic information system developed by the City Clerk’s Department, Council meetings go paperless.
2002 February 27 - Council approved the sale of Winnipeg Hydro to Manitoba Hydro.
2002 July 25 to August 4 - Winnipeg hosted the North American Indigenous Games.
2002 September - Phase 1 of the Princess Street Campus of Red River College officially opened. The campus located at 160 Princess Street consists of three buildings: the William Avenue block; the Princess Street block opened on September 2, 2003, and the Adelaide Street block which will open for classes in September 2004. The Jubilee Atrium connects these three buildings.
2002 October 8 to 9 - Her Royal Highness, Queen Elizabeth the II and the Duke of Edinburgh, visited Winnipeg during her Golden Jubilee (50th) Anniversary celebrations, and officially unveiled the restored provincial icon, the Golden Boy.
2002 December 11 - Council passed The Official Languages of Municipal Services By-law No. 8154/2002 for the provision of municipal services in both official languages.
2003 January 1 - The new City of Winnipeg Charter came into effect replacing the City of Winnipeg Act.
2003 April 5 to 13 - Winnipeg hosts the Ford World Curling Championships.
2003 July 1 - Winnipeg City Council implements the Smoking Regulation Bylaw prohibiting smoking in public places.
2003 Fall - The Provencher Twin Bridges are completed and the pedestrian walkway named “Esplanade Riel”. The dramatic cable-stayed pedestrian bridge is Winnipeg’s newest landmark.
2003 November 1 - The Centennial Library closes for a $17 million renovation. Reopened as the Millennium Library in November 2005.
2004 November 16 – Opening of the MTS Centre.
2005 October 11 - Commemoration of the 100th Birthday of the Carnegie Library Building, 380 William Avenue, presently the home of the City of Winnipeg Archives. This was the first public library building in Winnipeg, constructed with a grant of $75,000 from American industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, through whose generosity a total of 2,500 libraries have been built around the world. Mayor Katz presented a plaque to the City Archivist, Gerry Berkowski, in honour of the event.
2005 October 19 - Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General of Canada, visits Winnipeg.
2005 November 8 - Official opening of the Millennium Library. The restored portrait of Andrew Carnegie was presented to the library by Mayor Katz.
2006

April 19 - In recognition of the achievements of Winnipeg-born Cindy Klassen, Canada's all-time most decorated Olympian, as well as other Winnipeg Olympic athletes of the 2006 Torino Olympic Games, City Council directed that:

  • Sargent Park Recreation Complex be renamed the “Cindy Klassen Recreation Complex”
  • the new indoor track at the Cindy Klassen Recreation Complex be named the “Olympian Indoor Track” in honour of all Winnipeg’s Olympic athletes
  • the street formerly identified as “Recreation Road” be renamed “Cindy Klassen Way”; and designated the name of a new park to be “Olympic Park”.

Notably, Klassen is the first Canadian to win five medals in one Olympic Games (the 2006 Winter Games in Turin, Italy). With this achievement, she tied American Eric Heiden's record of five medals won at an Olympics (1980) by a speedskater. At the same time, she overtook the previous Canadian record of most medals (three) at the same Olympic games, held by Gaetan Boucher.

2006 June 30 - Skateboard Park/Plaza at the Forks officially opened. This world renowned urban skate plaza and bowl complex is sensitively integrated into the heart of downtown Winnipeg. The facility, with a total area of over 44,000 square feet, was made possible through a gift from The James Burns Family Foundation. Tony Hawk, the world’s top skateboard athlete, visited and skated at the new facility and shot an opening sequence for his “Secret Skatepark 3” DVD in downtown Winnipeg.
2006 June/July - Examples of record breaking summer days included:
  • Highest recorded average maximum temperature of any July: 29.8°C
  • Sixteen of the month’s 31 days were above 30°C; the norm is four days.
2006 July - City Council approved $6 million in funding for a new world-class soccer facility, to be built on the University of Manitoba campus. Completion is slated for 2007.
2006 October 25 - For this Civic Election, the City Clerk’s Department introduced the “Automark” voting system for blind/vision impaired voters.
2006 November 19 - Winnipeg hosted the 94th Grey Cup Game, between the B.C. Lions and the Montreal Alouettes at the Canad Inns Stadium. This is the third time that the Grey Cup has been held in Winnipeg.

Back to top

2007 - 2012
2007 September 10 - the official opening of the City Records Centre, 311 Ross Avenue. The Records Center Program was approved by Council, on March 22, 2006. This dedicated storage facility can accommodate over 9,500 cubic feet of records and archival materials and allows City departments to move their inactive records out of high cost office space into the lower cost service-oriented environment of a central records storage facility.
2008 Debby the Polar Bear, longtime resident of Assiniboine Park Zoo, passed away at the age of 42. She was believed to be the oldest member of her Arctic species, living more than twice the average lifespan of a wild polar bear. At age 41, she was entered into the 2008 Guinness Book of Records as the oldest living polar bear and at age 42 she was within the top three longevity record-holders for all eight species of bears.
2009 January - The 311 Contact Centre - the City's first integrated call centre - was launched.
2009 March and April - Widespread flooding of the Red River Basin, the worst since 1997. Record high river levels were reached.
2009 Construction began on Stage One of the Southwest Rapid Transit Corridor.
2009 September 13 - First Canadian Ciclovia event in Winnipeg - a large-scale active transportation event that connects Assiniboine Park to the Forks for non-motorized transportation.
2009 September 26 and 27 - First Giveaway Weekend - Unwanted household items are placed at the curb on the front street. Great opportunity to find a new owner for reusable unwanted items taking up space in homes and keeping them out of the landfill.
2009 December - After 10 years of planning and four years of construction, Winnipeg's new state-of-the-art $300 million drinking water treatment plant began delivering treated water to residents. Located at Deacon Reservoir just east of Winnipeg, the drinking water treatment plant is the largest infrastructure project undertaken so far by the City of Winnipeg.
2010 Manitoba Homecoming - a year-long experience bringing former and current Manitobans, visitors, friends and families together for events, festivals and an allaround great celebration.
2010 May 19 - Council approved the renaming of the "Charleswood Parkway" to the "William R. Clement Parkway" in honor of the late Councillor Clement.
2010 June 16 to 19 - Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada's first national event took place at The Forks. The national events were intended to engage and educate the Canadian public about the Indian Residential School system. They honoured those whose lives were touched by residential schools and gave those individuals an opportunity to present statements to the TRC. They will also celebrate regional diversity.
2011 May 31 - True North Sports & Entertainment made the announcement that they purchased the Atlanta Thrashers from Atlanta Spirit and the franchise would be relocated to Winnipeg, signaling the return of the Winnipeg Jets.
2011 October 30 - Winnipeg Airports Authority (WAA) officially welcomed travellers through the doors of the redeveloped James Armstrong Richardson International Airport. With the redevelopment, the airport became Canada's newest and greenest airport.
2012 March - Winnipeggers experienced the warmest March in at least 140 years, since records began in 1872. By the time it was over, March clocked in at an amazing 8.3°C above normal. The 30-year monthly average for the month is -6.1°C.
2012 September - The Winnipeg Art Gallery celebrated its centennial.
2012 October - Manitoba implemented a mandatory 10 digit dialing system.

Back to top